Deafness is the second most common type of disability identified in Iran and approximately 1500 deaf children are born in one million and two hundred thousand births every year which is one thousandth of the births.
Since the brain develops in such a way that the child must first hear the environment’s sounds in order to be able to speak, the deaf child will be unable to speak as well. This phenomenon is commonly known as being deaf and dumb. A deaf and dumb individual faces personal important issues including educational and social problems, moreover, he or she imposes significant cost on societies regarding special education, carrier, marriage, security, and other.
They actively started taking measures from almost three decades ago worldwide to compensate for these damages and approximately 300 thousand individuals got cochlear implant since then.
Cochlear implant is a modern electronic device which is surgically placed in the inner ear of these patients and enables them to hear the environment’s sounds almost like normal people do. It consequently enables them to talk normally. In our country with a population of 80 million people almost 10 thousand individuals have undergone surgery so far. 95% of these cases were successfully able to acquire hearing and speaking skills. A number of these individuals have completed higher education and are working and have families today. A larger group of these individuals are studying in different grades of ordinary schools alongside other students.
Since the surgery and the services after the surgery are very expensive, some of the families, mostly on from less fortunate social class, are unable to afford it even though the government supports them. (The relevant prosthesis, the subsidiary costs, the surgery, and the initial rehabilitation cost almost 60 million Tomans. 90% is paid by the government and the family must pay for the remaining 10% and 30% of the families are forced to turn to charity organizations to pay their 6-million- Toman share).
If the cost of the initial tests, purchasing a hearing aid, commuting to the Cochlear Implant Center, rehabilitation, spare parts, and repairing the hearing aids of these children are added to the abovementioned price, the families that have deaf children will have a 2-million. Toman extra expense every year.
The requests of 10 thousand patients with cochlear implant to use the rehabilitation facilities on a consistent basis, the financial needs of the new families that join this group every year, and the fact that the government are insufficient motivated a number of honorable donors and relevant specialists to establish The Charity Foundation For Hearing Rehabilitation (BAKHSHESH) (using “BAKHSHESH” as its acronym) in 2016 with an official permit from the Ministry of the Interior under registration in number 40418 in order to support these families in the three-stage prevention program (preventing the birth of the next deaf baby), cochlear implant for less fortunate candidates, rehabilitation services, and also the services after getting an implant.
Although this public and non-profit organization was supported and welcomed right after being established and the kind donors gave their honest and pure assistance to this new organization, in order support this group continuously, “BAKHSHESH” should be able to provide and maintain a stable financial resource to be able to help these beloved families.
Therefore we encourage the honorable donors to visit www.bakhshesh.org or directly contact the secretariat of “BAKHSHESH” on +982140880761-2 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send their letters to this address: Unit 605, Royal Building, Darya Boulevard-E.Sharifi Cross Section, Shahrak-e Qods, Tehran and present their assistance directly.